Tuesday 8 February 2011

Group Chat Evaluation

After proposing the concept to the group I am feeling it really hard at getting my opinion across. I feel strongly that without and underlying concept hat defines what the design is about we are merely producing something for no reason and the design elements will not work together because of this.

My main concern is the concept, there is none. Forward thinking is not a concept, it bears no relation to the yearbook and the end of the 3 years studying. It cannot easily be illustrated and as a concept it is far too broad.

My second concern is the fact that in-spite that been no concept there have been a number of decisions made that should be made once a concept has been outlined. The concept will drive the design decisions such as the colour, type, format, even the layouts.

I am also concerned about the mimicking of something that has already been produced. In particular the Pulp Book by Generation Press, because of the way the print processes and the format have been replicated in particular the use of a box which could have been designed very differently.

I was also asked to have a look at how much the book would cost. Given there has been talk of producing a box, which again has been brought from no-where. Producing a die-cut box will increase the costs dramatically and with only £2500 to spend the idea of creating a box and print processes will skyrocket the price. I did contact Team impression and gave me an idea of the costs involved a basic litho- print, perfect bound, 120 page book in the dimensions given with an uncoated stock cover and pages is £1500 for 1000. I think is important to note that it was not asked for in the brief, luckily I wanted to contact them anyway and am going to visit them next week.


I feel that to grasp the idea of the yearbook and for everything to work in sync there needs to be a concepts that drives it. I am going to go ahead with my concept expose, but I am currently unsure whether to go on with the collaboration to save what lorenzo spoke to me about the integrity of my work within the collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment